Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 18:36:28 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        torstenb@ramsey.tb.9715.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hans@brandinnovators.com
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

> Which systems have it?  I don't find it on our Solaris box.

Well, it's in Linux and NetBSD, at least.

> Am I the only one that is disturbed by the recent trend of
> behind-the-door negotiations with vendors followed by a commit
> followed by a big controversy?  It seems like the vendors were not

There are no black helicopters here, Satoshi, and I wish you'd stop
flinging that accusation around.

What you've seen as behind-the-door commits in these two occasions
(/var/mail and ld.so.conf) are not the result of some secret vendor
cabal, plotting to steal your precious bodily fluids while you sleep,
they're the result of *ME* getting what I felt to be a reasonable
request and then setting out to make what seemed, again to _me_, a
very minimal and reasonable change in order to better support such
needs.

On these two occasions, the subsequent flame wars which erupted were
characterised more by their heat than by their light, and as I don't
have a lot of time for highly emotional arguments which serve no
reasonable purpose other than to piss all over some feature without
proposing a reasonable, concrete solution to the same problem, or are
driven by what seems to be some greater need to harp endlessly on some
diversionary topic of convenience rather than spending the energy more
constructively working on real (and harder) problems, I basically
switched off it after a few days.

I will repeat: There was no secret conspiracy to get the features in,
simply what I felt to be a reasonable and very low-overhead commit
followed by lots of flaming and me switching the topic off in disgust.
So far, the anticipated rash of break-ins and security holes has not
accompanied the "dreaded /var/mail change", nor do I think that the
ld.so.conf mechanism (modulo a few changes, since I agree that vendor
editing of /etc/ld.so.conf is sub-optimal and I've been _trying_ to
address that issue) will result in all the fire and brimstone raining
from the skies that you predict.  It's truly a feature that, if you
don't want to use it, lets life goes on _exactly_ as before and no
additional complexity in anyone's /etc has to result from this unless
they specifically desire it.

I think this is Poul-Henning's bike shelter scenario again (what was
the name of the law in question again?).  Everybody wants to argue
about a change which results in no functional changes whatsoever if
you don't want them, but nobody wants to debate why (for example)
we've had broken mechanisms like DEVFS or LFS lurking in the system
for so long without either fixing them or throwing them away so that a
competing effort would and could be encouraged.

Bah.  Let it also be understood that I'm perfectly willing to back
this one out if it seems that there's true concensus against it, but
so far _most_ people have tended to indicate that _modification_ of
the idea is what's warranted, not tossing it out completely.

					Jordan