Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:29:50 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Raheel Khan <raheel@criticaledge.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: gettext-0.10.40

> >make  all-am
> >/bin/sh ../lib/javacomp.sh -d . ./gnu/gettext/DumpResource.java
> >./gnu/gettext/DumpResource.java:0: Can't find default package
> >`java.lang'. Check
> >  the CLASSPATH environment variable and the access to the archives.
> >./gnu/gettext/DumpResource.java:0: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
>
> Well, I'm afraid I won't be able to help you much, so I hope someone
> else is able to.  While I have a high interest in java, I don't have
> any java-ish things installed on my freebsd systems yet.  I go thru
> the build of gettext without any problems (I just tried it now, to
> make sure I still have no problems), but I may just be lucky in that
> I don't have any of the java ports installed.

I ran into the same thing and investigated a bit.  Apparently
configure finds you have a java compiler (gcj in my case -- I
had installed gcc-3.0.4 from ports long time ago) and
activates the above code.  I blew away the gcc-3.0.4 port,
removed /usr/ports/devel/gettext/work/ and remade the port.
That fixed it.