Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2012 08:43:07 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geli and BIO_FLUSH and/or BIO_ORDERED issue?

--S6vg04ofUPzW4qJg

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 09:48:28PM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote this message on Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 18:20 +020=
0:
> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 09:04:30PM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > > I was looking at geli and I'm not sure if it's implementing BIO_FLUSH
> > > and/or BIO_ORDERED properly...
> > >=20
> > > previous _WRITES to complete before returning so that you can ensure
> > > that data is on disk, i.e. _ORDERED is set on a BIO_FLUSH...
> > >=20
> > > BIO_ORDERED is handled by diskq_* code such that when you add an _ORD=
ERED
> > > command, all commands are put after it, but there doesn't appear to
> > > be any code to ensure that an _ORDERED command waits for prevoius
> > > pending commands to complete..
> > >=20
> > > This is extra obvious in eli in that a _FLUSH is immediately dispatch=
ed,
> > > even when there may be _WRITEs that haven't been finished encrypting =
and
> > > sent down to the disk to get _FLUSHed...
> > >=20
> > > Any comments about this?
> >=20
> > Hmm, BIO_ORDERED was introduced pretty recently and GEOM classes were
> > not updated to honour it, but it also seems to be to complex to handle
> > in GEOM classes. I wonder if we could hold off new writes and wait for
> > the in-progress writes in GEOM if we spot BIO_ORDERED request without
> > the need to implement this logic in GEOM classes.
>=20
> Yeh.  When I was looking at it, it definately seems like it should be
> something that we provide a generic method of handling (as part of
> bioq_*), since all the geom classes need to handle it...

No, in most cases this is not a problem, because most of GEOM classes
just pass all I/O requests without any reordering, so it is enough if
the very last layer (eg. disk driver) handles BIO_ORDERED properly.

I thought what you meant with GELI was that it can reorder writes, for
which it needs more time with BIO_FLUSH requests that it handles
immediately.

--=20
FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://tupytaj.pl