Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 15:33:32 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.hda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI harddisk trouble: MEDIUM ERROR

> Here is a sketch of what an "automatic tool" could do.
> I don't think it is worth it, and such a tool may give
> people a false sense of having fixed things that they haven't:

As far as I can see, they *have* fixed things, apart from still having
a damaged file.  Maybe if you add a step

> 5. Write the (probably garbage) data back,
> causing it to reassign the block or at least store the data;

5.5. Delete the file containing the bad sector (after asking the user,
of course) or move it to lost+found.

> 6. fsck.

Of course, if it's a directory block things are worse.

I'd like such a tool; I have a couple of Syquest removable disks with
bad sectors and wouldn't be surprised to get more.

-- Richard