Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:40:47 -0800
From:      "Nicole H."  <nicole@mediacity.com>
To:        "Nicole H."  <nicole@mediacity.com>, Brian Buchanan  <brian@thought.res.cmu.edu>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Detecting sniffers (was: Re: security hole in FreeBSD)

> On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Nicole H. wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a good way to detect people "sniffing" on the network? IE a program that will detect
> > machine running in promiscuous mode?
> >

> I was wondering the same thing when I read a clause prohibiting the use of
> network cards in promiscuous mode in the CMU network use policy.  I asked
> some computer security people I knew about this and their response was
> that it is not possible to detect if a network card is in promiscious mode
> unless you have access to the machine it's in - i.e., that you can look at
> ifconfig on that machine.

 <STUPID QUESTION>

 What is the range of sniffing? I.E. can the "sniffer" sniff past switched networks?
 What is the "range" of sniffing?

 </STUPID QUESTION>

Thanks

 Nicole

 nicole@mediacity.com      |\ __ /|   (`\   http://www.mediacity.com
  Nicole Harrington        | o_o  |__  ) )    Phone: 415-237-1464
                          //      \\          Pager: 415-301-2482
		    Systems Administrator
 *******
  * *****       What do you mean Spelling Errors?
   * * *                       My Modem is Error Correcting!
      *

CAUTION: I'm no doctor, I only tell computers what to do.
Nothing in this document should be construed as medical advice.
My opinions are subject to the availability of information.
I learn new things each day, and so may change my opinions.

    Courtesy is owed. Respect is earned. Love is given. --