Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:13:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        freensd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Machine wants to boot from Iomega ZIP Drive"

Well, its notorious. I must have overlooked some trivial thing in
MYKERNEL.

> something like the following...
>
> # Parallel port
> device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 net irq 7
> controller      ppbus0
> device          lpt0    at ppbus?
> device          plip0   at ppbus?
> device          ppi0    at ppbus?
> controller      vpo0    at ppbus?

When I turn off the zip, everything is fine, "changing root device to
da0s1a" etc, but when I turn on the zip, the zip is da0 and the SCSI
drive, which was da0 without zip, becomes da1, and then "panic (22), cant
mount root device".

I have no idea how to change this behaviour. Maybe I can change something
in MYKERNEL. To make the zip be da1 or to make the system find da1
during booting, when the zip is on.

Havent found it in the archives, have asked it before, without knowing
what was going on ("panic", rebooting), our newsserver is down and I have
no subscription to -questions.....

Thanks.

Heiko