Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:56:22 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        john.raynor@tufts.edu
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio support on a Toshiba Satellite 335CDS

john.raynor@tufts.edu wrote:

> Quoting Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>:
> > Audio CDs may already work (assuming your mixer defaults to
> > sane values).  Try inserting a CD and running "cdcontrol"
>
> I found "cdcontrol" on my own last night, and gave it a try.
> It seemed to be reasonably happy -- it could recognize the
> tracks on CDs, knew how long each one was, and could be told
> to play a particular track.  There was only one little problem:
> it never produced any *sound* (aside, that is, from the purely
> machanical whirring of the active CD drive... <foolish grin> )

Most likely your mixer defaults to 0.  You will need to actually load
the sound driver to get this to work.

> > If it's going to work, then it will work by just adding "device pcm"
> > to the kernel.
> >
> > A quicker and easier way might be to run "kldload snd_pcm" as root.
> > To see if it worked, run dmesg immediatly afteward and look for the
> > pcm: xxxxxx messages.  If it says something like:
> > pcmN: <OPL3-SA3> port blah irq blah at device blah on blah then it
> > worked.
>
> Bleah.  I logged in as root, and gave this a try, but had no success.
> I checked the "/modules" directory, and found nothing named "snd_pcm".

Hmm.  What version of FreeBSD are you using?

> I looked in "/dev" and found neither "opl" nor "pcm".

You want dspx, dspWx, sndstat, and a few other devices in /dev, not opl
or pcm.  Just run ./MAKEDEV snd0 and you should be ok.

> I also looked in "/usr/src/sys/dev", and couldn't find "opl" or "pcm"
> there, either.  I did, however, find something named "sound", but didn't
> feel up to messing with it without further advice.

Well, the easiest way is just to build a new kernel with "device pcm" in
the
configuration.  Even if newpcm doesn't support your card the kernel will
work just fine (although the soundcard won't).  I'd recommend that you
just
give it a try and tell us how it turns out.  If its still broken, try
emailing
Cameron Grant (cg@freebsd.org), he's the guy who actually maintains the
sound driver.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer