Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 1999 14:49:37 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>
Cc:        Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing FROM FreeBsd to Windows

Jonathan Chen wrote:

> [Please do *NOT* remove the Cc: freebsd-questions]
>
> On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Richard Morte wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply Jonathan,
> >
> > Could you expand a little?
> >

> Within /etc/printcap, you need an entry similar to:
>
>         win95|local line printer:\
>                 :sh:\
>                 :lp=/dev/null:\
>                 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/win95:\
>                 :if=/filters/push-to-windows:\
>                 :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>
> You need to write the script-file "/filters/push-to-windows" so that
> that it invokes smbclient to forward incoming stdin to the required
> Windows printer.

Have you ever tried adding the Unix services for NT so that you don't
have to use Samba. I have always thought that netbeui was the dark
side of windows and I don't understand people using that when they can
download NFS and LPD for NT. If your systems are Win 9x based it is a
different matter.

Kent

> Jonathan Chen                       | Opportunites are seldom labeled
>
> > Jonathan Chen wrote:

> > > In your /etc/printcap, define the printer so that it uses an
> > > interface script which invokes smbclient.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com
http://daily.daemonnews.org/