Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:22:30 -0400
From:      Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>
To:        "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: window managers which one?

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 at 14:01:14 -0400, G. Jason Middleton wrote:
> I am installing kde2 from the ports...(i just cvs'ed the ports) so it
> is installing 2.1.1..... whatever.   I am running an amd 266 with 128
> megs of ram.  It has been installing for the past 2 hours!!  Anyway
> can anyone make a good recommendation as to which window man i should
> use?  GNOME KDE???

KDE2 takes *forever* to compile.  It's huge.  Give it some time to do
it's thing.

> I am trying to get completely away from win2k/98.  I use my machine
> for MP3's cd-burning, and just regualr run-of-the-mill crap...Word
> Processing Access...etc etc....and random admin crap.

You can do this stuff no matter which window manager you run.

> so the final question is which window manager would be the best for
> me?  Regards,

The one you decide is best for you.  Play with different ones and make
the choice yourself.  After all, just because someone on the list likes
something it doesn't mean you will.

- jim

--
- jim mock <mij@osdn.com> - O|S|D|N - open source development network -