Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:02:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware list

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Steve Passe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > >Comments:
> >
> > This board is pretty old, but seems ok.  The post lite2 works the
> > best I've seen on it.
>
> I'm not sure of exact numbers, since it varies on a loaded system, but it
> seems like the latest src with the vm changes has shaved 6-7 seconds
> off my kernel compile times.

What sort of kernel compile times should be expected, with my last compile

make -j8 it took 3 minutes and 48 seconds for a Generic kernel with
the sysv stuff for X, and none of the drivers I'm not using.
(i.e. one net card a 2940 and 2 processors, nothing much else but 1 com
port for a mouse)

and make -j16 took 3 minutes 19 seconds on the same
kernel.

(both booted from this stripped down minimal kernel)

So, are these good times then ?
(the source was supped down on saturday ontop of a 3.0-970209-SNAP)

--
Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.