Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 1996 23:19:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        dhawk@netcom.com (David H)
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Not Exactly a Bug, but a Crack

As David H wrote:

> I check COPS and got the same three items it reported in November
> and December:
> 1. doesn't like the 'toor' account (second root account),

Hmmm.  Well, at least, it's disabled.  Whether or not multiple UID 0
accounts are a security hole or not is a matter of taste.  I usually
don't use `root' at all, except that it is there so the files will
belong to user `root'.

> 2. /etc/security is readable (but only to group wheel), and

I don't think group wheel is much to care.  It's a compromise.  With
an /etc/security readable to group wheel, the potential adminst have
less need to acutally `su' since they can have a look at the file
without.

> 3. /var/spool/uucppublic is world-writeable (but nobody's written to
> it).

It's supposed to.  User uucp writes there (incoming uucp job), and the
destination user is supposed to be able to read and delete the file
there.  (Or vica verse.)

--
cheers, J"org