Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:25:25 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sony F430 sound ? (everything else working) (Re: (long) multiple queries about 4.0 on Sony 505HS)

I've been installing FreeBSD on some work Sony F430s at the request of my
boss (I get to try this stuff out and get paid for it ;)

Windows reports the sound device as a Yamaha DS-XG and it's on irq 9 with
the vga device and several other things.
The bios has no configuration for audio.

I'm currently messing with 3.4-PAO - the horror stories in -STABLE have
cooled my desire to move to 4.0 right now and with a standard pcm0 line,
I get;
pcm0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
Unknown card 0x0 0x0 -- hope it is SBPRO

The mixer appears to work to the extent I can change the values and they
stay changed, audio (from cd, from play, etc) does not. Since I don't hear
anything from the CD playing I'm assuming that it isn't actually working.
If I try and play a .au I get;

timeout flushing dbuf_out, chan 1 cnt 0xb37a flags 0x00000441

I'm guessing that this is pci audio and I'm SOL, certainly with 3.4 ?
Am I any less SOL with 4.0 ?

Everything else that freebsd has support for works fine - the DVD works
as an ATAPI cdrom drive, 1024x768 at 24bit works under xfree;

(--) SVGA: PCI: NeoMagic NM2200 rev 32, Memory @ 0xfd000000, 0xfe800000
(--) SVGA: chipset:  NM2200
(--) SVGA: videoram: 2560k
(**) SVGA: Using 24 bpp, Depth 24, Color weight: 888
[...]
(--) SVGA: NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV (NM2200) chip
(--) SVGA: NM2200: Panel is a 1024x768 color TFT display
(--) SVGA: NM2200: Internal LCD only display mode

The only thing that puzzles me is that if I use 16 bit it uses more
acceleration;
(**) SVGA: Using 16 bpp, Depth 16, Color weight: 565
[...]
(--) SVGA: NM2200: Using hardware cursor
(--) SVGA: Using XAA (XFree86 Acceleration Architecture)
(--) SVGA: XAA: Solid filled rectangles
(--) SVGA: XAA: Screen-to-screen copy
[etc]

Does XAA need some spare memory or is something odd going on ?

pcmcia is ok - the machine has two free IRQs according to windows,
3 and 5 (it has a winmodem, no second serial port). I got the pcmcia
controller to work by selecting
pcic0: irq 9, 0x3e0
pccardd memory 0xd8000
ignore no irqs

Sucessful net install with a 3com 3C589C, all I changed otherwise was
resizing the windows partition with partition magic and turning PNP OS
off in bios.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu