Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:11:23 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@BitBlocks.com>
To:        anton@nikiforov.ru
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LSI Trouble

Anton Nikiforov <anton@nikiforov.ru> writes:
> Here we go, a report of getting my disks back alive :)

Thanks!

> 5. RAID 5 disks contain some strange (strange for me) info - 2 140GB
> disks contain partition of 280GB and the third disk of this RAID5 set -
> only 14MB!!! FreeBSD partition and some other data. As far as i know
> RAID5 algorythm this is impossible - i should have 3 disks with some
> data, maybe even with partitions, viewable with FreeBSD fdisk.

fdisk depends on sector 0 of a disk.  In a raid5 setup only the
first disk will have raid5 sector 0, which will show the size of
raid5 'disk' which is 280GB.  So I don't think you can infer
anything from fdisk run on individual disks of a RAID5 set.
[Unless LSI logic is doing something weird + I am just
guessing and may have completely misunderstood you]

> 2. Looks like this controller claims that it is suport RAID5 while it is
> only RAID4.

Likely it supports RAID5 and you are misunderstanding something.

> ToDo:
> Analyze RAID5 sets from LSI and, maybe (because i'm not a great C coder)
> make some tool to get data from broken RAID sets.

I wouldn't bother.