Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:35:58 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Subject:   Re: recommendation(s) for new computer

hI,

On Monday 30 April 2012 17:52:35 Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> > I do not know about your location but at mine power supplies have the tendency to have  a short life due to lightning strikes in the area. Get a cheaper model but buy two. I just ran into this problem but did not have a second one for the affected machine. The new one fits only upside down into the box with all the consequences.
>
> no. no. no.
>
> Get a quality power supply.  And get a Brick Wall.  www.brickwall.com   Brick Wall surge suppressors are real surge suppressors, not the fake things you buy in the store for $25 with $0.10 worth of sacrificial MOVs that degenerate over time.

This only helps when the over voltage comes via the power line. A lightning strike nearby is a different story.

> And get a good UPS while you are at it as well.

I have an APC and it still does not help when then lightning comes down in the neighbourhood. This is plain physics. The current is induced behind the UPS might be enough to kill the power supply. It never killed any of my machines though.

I even have had one a switch burning after the neighbour's house got hit by a lightning. While the switch was really burned, some of the connected machines survived with no damage at all while some others have had the network interface killed.

The UPS was an online version and no other damage via the power supplies has occurred.

As I said before, this strategy only makes sense in an environment with a lot of thunderstorms and lightning strikes.

Erich