Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 20:54:48 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
Subject:   Re: Annoying delay with pine 4 and IMAP

Hi,

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Brent J. Nordquist wrote:

> I have two questions about using pine 4.02/4.02a and IMAP (FreeBSD
> 3.0-current as of June 1 1998):
>
> (1)  Do most people use the imapd from the mail/imap-uw port, or the
> one that is part of the mail/pine4 port, or something else?

 I strongly suggest using mail/imap-uw for the POP/IMAP daemons and
mail/pine* for the Pine MUAs !
 I don't know what people usually do use, but I guess that those using the
FreeBSD ports are following this scheme...

> (2)  I'm using the imap-uw port (4.2) and pine (4.02 and 4.02a).  When I
> start pine, I get the "busy spinner" [Opening "INBOX" <-> ] which sits
> there for about 10 seconds before it prompts me for login/password.
> I also get this delay whenever I open a new folder.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this problem?  Any theories as to what the
> delay could be caused by?  It isn't resolution of the IMAP host or port;
> "telnet host imap4" returns immediately.
>
> The pine debugging output shows (I had set the host to 127.0.0.1 to
> eliminate that as a cause):
>
> -------debug output-------
> -------debug output-------
>
> Presumably, the alarm_signal() calls are what wakes the spinner up
> to print another character.  But even at debug level 9, there isn't
> enough information here to tell what it's trying to do while it sleeps.
> Clearly it's before it connects to imapd, though.

 Just a suggestion / wild guess: search & check for locks, stale locks
might be a cause (although some sort of error message should pop up) --
/tmp/ might be one target.

 I'll try to simulate your situation whenever I'll find some spare time --
does someone else have any reports on this ?

> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
>
> --
> Brent J. Nordquist / bjn@visi.com   |   Windows not found
> W: +1 612 905-7806                  |   (C)heer, (D)ance, (S)ing?

 Just my $0.02
 Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)