Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:48:04 +0200
From:      Rudi Kramer <rudi.kramer@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gconcat + growfs: we are not growing

Hello,

I am running a FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p6 GENERIC (amd64) home media server I
wanted to find a way to add multiple disks to a single volume without using
raid because I am not too fussy about the data but I dont want one disk
failing to cause me to loose all my data.

I found gconcat and it seemed to be the exact application I was looking for.

I first created a volume with a single drive (1.5 TB) so that I could
migrate all my data across. (I was using zfs but as stated I dont need/want
raid).

# gconcat label -v data /dev/ad4
# newfs /dev/concat/data
# mount /dev/concat/data /mnt

Everything seemed fine and I was able to migrate my data across with no
problems.

I then tried to add two more drives (1 TB each) using the following
commands:

# umount /dev/concat/data
# gconcat label data /dev/ad4 /dev/ad5 /dev/ad6

Once again everything looked fine and when I execute gconcat list I can see
the drives are added and the space allocation is correct.

# gconcat list
Geom name: data
State: UP
Type: AUTOMATIC
ID: 1745188505
Providers:
1. Name: concat/data
   Mediasize: 3500711680512 (3.2T)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r0w0e0
Consumers:
1. Name: ad4
   Mediasize: 1500301910016 (1.4T)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r0w0e0
   Start: 0
   End: 1500301909504
2. Name: ad5
   Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r0w0e0
   Start: 1500301909504
   End: 2500506795008
3. Name: ad6
   Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r0w0e0
   Start: 2500506795008
   End: 3500711680512

The problem comes when I try to grow the file system using growfs I get the
following error:

growfs: we are not growing (732569291->635590051)

I have tried using google to found out what could be causing the issue and
I found some information about creating a disk label but bsdlabel doesn't
work on large drives and I'm not sure this is even the correct answer and
so I decided to mail the list and see if anyone had some advice for me.

Regards
Rudi