Date:      23 Dec 2001 18:49:18 -0500
From:      Roger Savard <Unix@henoc.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl

le Dim 23-12-2001 =E0 18:41, Tom a =E9crit :
>=20
> On 23 Dec 2001, Roger Savard wrote:
>=20
> > I usually use /etc/sysctl.conf to modify two parameters
> >=20
> > compat.linux.osname=3DFreeBSD
> > compat.linux.osrelease=3D4.4-Stable
> >=20
> > The reason behind this is to be accounted for FreeBSD instead of Linux
> > ... some day will have native freebsd code...
>=20
>   I don't understand why you want the Linux emulation module to tell Linu=
> apps that the the OS is FreeBSD?  That would break the emulation.  It is
> also isn't a changable value.  It is set to match the version of Linux th=
> emulation module most closely emulates.
>=20
> Tom
>=20
>=20
>=20

Well, if you read the man it is in there, and it does not break the
linux emulation ...

Realplayer , netscape6 acroread4 still work fine.

The point is to be accounted for FreeBSD not Linux.

SYSCTL.CONF(5)            FreeBSD File Formats Manual           SYSCTL.CONF=
(5)

NAME
     sysctl.conf - kernel state defaults

DESCRIPTION
     The /etc/sysctl.conf file is read in when the system goes into
multi-user
     mode to set default settings for the kernel.  The /etc/sysctl.conf
is in
     the format of the sysctl(8) command, i.e.

           sysctl_mib=3Dvalue

     Comments are denoted by a ``#'' at the beginning of a line.=20
Comments can
     also exist at the end of a line, as seen in the EXAMPLES section,
below.

FILES
     /etc/sysctl.conf  Initial settings for sysctl(8).

EXAMPLES
     To turn off logging of programs that exit due to fatal signals, as
well
     as telling Linux programs that you are running FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE,
you
     may use a configuration like

           # Configure logging and Linux execution.
           kern.logsigexit=3D0       # Do not log fatal signal exits (e.g.
sig 11)
           compat.linux.osname=3DFreeBSD
           compat.linux.osrelease=3D3.4-STABLE

SEE ALSO
     rc.conf(5), rc(8), sysctl(8)

HISTORY
     The sysctl.conf file appeared in FreeBSD 4.0.

FreeBSD 4.4                    December 30, 1999                 =20
FreeBSD 4.4