Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2000 11:02:35 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Curt Sampson' <cjs@cynic.net>, Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: JDK status?

Hi guys,

> I'd be interested in knowing about this too, since I'd be
> willing to put some work towards getting the 1.2.2 JDK up
> and runing on NetBSD/alpha and NetBSD/i386. But I've not
> much interest unless it can be distributed, and last I
> checked, the new license for 1.2 prevented that.

All I can say is that we are working hard to get Sun's backing on this one.
At this time, everyone is free to download the patches and build his own JDK
after signing the SCSL. Even without a binary distribution option, we can
make a killer port out of this baby.

Nate Williams just made a unofficial, off-the-record, speculative
pre-announcement on freebsd-java. Basically he says that at JavaOne there
should be a happy surprise for Java/FreeBSD people.

Don't get your hopes up too high, because we've had empty promises before.
On the other hand, I trust Nate to be careful with this kind of stuff. ;-)

    Kees Jan