Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:36:04 -0400
From:      Klaus Steden <klaus@compt.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password security

> My staffers are using plain old passwords for logins. ALL logins are
> via SSH from various platforms, using passwords. Some are logging in
> from Windows clients that don't support much else. And, on the
> security/convenience continuum, I won't have much of a network to
> secure if nobody gets any work done. :-)
>
> I'm well aware of the inherent insecurity of what your average human
> can remember. It's currently a weak link for us, so it is one aspect
> of our security that I would like to improve. So, for the purposes of
> this message, please assume all other avenues have been secured. ;-)
>
> So, given the limitations of remote access (from machines assumed to
> be insecure), and some fairly dumb Windows clients, what are some
> solutions to password security?
>
> The best I've come up with so far is to issue random passwords, from
> an array of 68 possible characters (alpha num and some easily-typed
> symbols). I issue two passwords for each user. One is short enough to
> be remembered with a small effort (6 characters, entropy > 2^36,
> assuming my randomizer is up to par). The second password is longer
> (10 characters, > 2^60), and is designed to be printed on a small card
> that the user carries with them like a token or a key. Obviously, you
> could argue the merits of shorter vs. longer keys. My choices are
> still quite arbitrary at this stage. New passwords would be issued at
> regular intervals. (Remember, these are staff members. I can do that.
> :-)

In the meantime, you could crack them on a regular basis for them. John the
Ripper does a pretty good job of my password files, with a dictionary of about
6 million odd words.

It's usually a bit of an eye-opener for someone to discover his 'highly
secure' password staring at him when he opens his email.

HTH,
Klaus