Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 98 09:56:27 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        dan@dpcsys.com
Cc:        fabry@panam.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two default routes

> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Alain G. Fabry wrote:
> > With two different network cards on two different networks, can I
have two
> > different default routes?
>
> No.

This is a limitation of the BSD IP stack. In "TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1",
W. Richard Stevens states (on p. 114) that multiple default routes may be
supported (he mentions Solaris 2.2 as an OS with this capbility)

Is there any taker for this addition to FreeBSD ?

	TfH

PS : this an excerpt from man 4 routing on a Solarie 2.5 machine :
<begin quote>
     A wildcard routing entry is specified with a  zero  destina-
     tion  address value.  Wildcard routes are used only when the
                                    ^^^^^^ this is **plural**
     system fails to find a route to  the  destination  host  and
     network.   The  combination  of  wildcard routes and routing
     redirects can provide an economical  mechanism  for  routing
     traffic.
<end quote>

dan@dpcsys.com