Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:01:11 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014411672.09edab@mired.org>
To:        "Pierre-Luc Drouin" <pldrouin@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setup HP LaserJet 1200 on usb: get ugen0 but not ulpt0

Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@hotmail.com> types:
> I'm unable to get ulpt0 for my printer in dmesg.
>
> -Option ulpt is activated in my kernel
> -I get ugen0 in dmesg
> -ulpt0 exists in /dev/
>
> When i try to configure apsfilter or anything with ulpt0, it says than
> the device is not configured.
>
> dmesg:
> usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
> usb0: <AcerLabs M5237 (Aladdin-V) USB controller> on ohci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0: AcerLabs OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 4 ports with 4 removable, self powered
> ugen0: HewLett Packard HP LaserJet 1200, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
>
> What can i do?

Make absolutely sure you're running a kernel with the ulpt code
compiled into it.

If that is the case, then you're probably going to have to start
working on the driver source in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/ulpt.c In
particular, USB_MATCH(ulpt) walks through the description of the USB
device making sure it's a printer that speaks one of the protocols
that the ulpt driver supports. Check to see why that's failing, and if
how it will do on any tests that may not be making. You can then try
assuming that the printer's USB support is broken, and tweak the
driver so the printer passes the test and see how things go.

On the other hand, you may have a printer that connects via USB, but
doesn't follow the USB standards for printers, or doesn't support any
of the protocols that ulpt needs. In which case, things are going to
be noticably harder.

	<mike