Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:21:00 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        L Goodwin <xrayv19@yahoo.com>, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring FreeBSD 6.2 to use sendmail for sending only

At 08:14 PM 8/30/2007, L Goodwin wrote:

>--- Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
>wrote:
>
> > At 07:01 PM 8/30/2007, L Goodwin wrote:
> > >Chuck, I'd prefer to have the script handle the
> > >mailing  so I can test the script (with email send)
> > >manually, independent of cron.
> > >
> > >Still looking for specifics on setting this up and
> > >bourne shell script example that sends an email.
> > >Thanks!

> > address.

> > but

> > network-specific)

> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html

> > Here is a sample script that you can use as a
> > template:
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > #define any commands you will use
> > MAILFILE=mymailfile
> > MAILFILE2=mymailfile2
> > SENDTO=derek@computinginnovations.com
> > CCTO=derek@computinginnovations.com
> > MAIL=/usr/bin/mail
> > AWK=/usr/bin/awk
> > CAT=/bin/cat
> > TR=/usr/bin/tr
> > TEMPDIR=/tmp
> >
> > #make sure we have paths
> > export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
> >
> > cd $TEMPDIR
> > $CAT /etc/passwd | $AWK -F : '{ print $5 }' >
> > $MAILFILE
> > $TR -cd "\012-\172" < $MAILFILE > $MAILFILE2
> > $MAIL -s "My list of real user names subject"
> > $SENDTO -c $CCTO < $MAILFILE2
>
>Derek, your example brings up another question.
>
>Should I be calling "mail" or "sendmail", and which
>mail or sendmail should I invoke if there is more than
>one of either? Chuck's example calls sendmail in a
>path that does not exist on my system (my sendmail is
>in /usr/sbin/). I usually invoke whichever one is
>first in my path.

Mail is the local MTA to send via sendmail.  All my servers run sendmail.

>One more question. Is it ok to run the script (and
>send the email) as user root, or should I create a
>user account with more limited permissions -- if so,
>what limits should I set?

Some scripts may need to run as root.  I have cron jobs I run as root, as
root permissions are required.  Other jobs I run as non-root
users.  Typically to run non-root jobs, create a new user group or use one
that is existing and make a new user that is a member of that
group.  Typically a non-root task is analysis of webserver logs, since the
webserver should run with non-root privileges.

You can also use complex scripts where you combine root and non-root tasks
using sudo for the root tasks.

Like most tasks in a UNIX environment, there are many ways to do them.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.