Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:54:39 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec USB2Xchange

--nextPart3259999.9hXfszB5tT

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 07:28, Pete Carah wrote:
> I have reason to use a USB to SCSI adapter under FBSD.  I have a
> USB2Xchange from Adaptec, but (as usual for adaptec) it requires a firmwa=
re
> load, which appears harder in usb than in PCI.  Does anyone know how to do
> this?  (Should we have a generic firmware loader similar in concept to the
> ndis converter?)

There is a USB firmware standard called DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) which=
=20
quite a nunmber of devices use (eg Atmel WiFi, Ti USB Audio, etc).

I have a USB audio device that uses it but I haven't had much luck getting =
the=20
USB stack to reprobe the device after it's been reprogrammed (I have to pul=
l=20
the connector out enough that it disconnects the data lines but not enough =
to=20
unpower it..)

Unfortunatly it's hard to say if your device does DFU at all.. I would sugg=
est=20
pulling it apart and trying to find data sheets on the chips in it.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum