Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:42:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        proot@horton.iaces.com, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpdump

>  > or from the command line:
>  > sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
>  > (you can check the value from the command line by:
>  > sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
>  > it should reply:
>  > net.inet.ip.forwarding: 0
>
>  Ah, I'm not sure I did this.  But that's not going to affect tcpdump,
>  is it?

the sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding should say net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1.
a value of 0 means it is not forwarding.

this will not affect tcpdump, I was addressing why your Windows9x
client can't route through the FreeBSD machine.

>  > did you set the gateway on the Window9x machine to the IP of the
>  > FreeBSD machine and also set the netmask correctly?
>
>  Yes, they can talk to each other.

I know they can talk to each other on the local area network, but by
putting the FreeBSD machine as the gateway in the Win9x TCP/IP network
stack tells the network stack to send the packets NOT on the local
area network, directly to the FreeBSD machine to be forwarded.

the IP and the netmask determine if something is on the local area
network or not. If the destination is local, then the machine will
ARP to get the ethernet address, if it is not local, then it need
a static route, a routing daemon or the IP number of a smart router.
in this case, the FreeBSD machine is your "smart" router.

--mark.