Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:49:18 -0500
From:      Corvin Russell <corvinr@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPPoE not working

Hello all,

I have finally wiped Windows off my hard drive, which is now shared by
Linux and FreeBSD.  I'm having a problem getting PPPoE up and going.
I've followed all the online documentation I could find, including the
Handbook, the man pages, the SympaticoUsers page (Sympatico is my
ISP), and several others. Kernel is recompiled, configuration files
changed as per the documentation. Now, the problem.  Apparently, I can
connect, as the console messages and logs reveal.  However, dns
lookups do not seem to work.  I can ping localhost and my hostname,
but I can't ping anything else.  I get a message saying that the host
lookup has failed. I have configured /etc/hosts /etc/host.conf and
/etc/resolv.conf as per directions in Handbook. I am running 4.1-REL.
I'm at a loss. Please let me know what other information is needed for
diagnosis.

Thanks in advance.

Corvin

--