Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 11:53:06 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, andre@pipeline.ch, manar@ivision.co.uk, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth limiter available

At 12:34 AM 5/15/98 -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

>> > If you want to hear more about ALTQ, Cho Kenjiro will be talking about
it
>> > at USENIX this year.  We hope also to hear from Ito Jun-ichiro about
>>
>> and just for the records, I have a paper at the FreeNIX track on
>> dummynet and related networking stuff.
>
>And I may give a WIPS session on
>Whistle's "smart bandwidth"

Very fancy. Not what most isps are looking for, but useful.

One question: why were the hooks put in the drivers rather than at a
higher , more generic level. The process does not have to be as intrusive
as ALTQ seems to be. Sounds like an ongoing maintenence nightmare.

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.

http://www.etinc.com
ISA and PCI Sync Cards for FreeBSD,