Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 12:38:21 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wine and Quicktime

I got wine (20020509, current ports) to install quicktime using the
windows installer, and play back movies.  The playback quality is
acceptable, though there are severe window management and screen
redrawing problems.  I reported this a couple of days ago on
-multimedia
(http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2108+0+current/freebsd-multimedia)
but basically, all I had to do was change a file, misc/cpu.c which had
cpu detection code ifdef'd for linux only, to enable it for freebsd
and change /proc/cpuinfo to /compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo.

Perhaps the wine port could be changed to do this, using a WITH_LINPROCFS
variable or something?  And perhaps for those who don't have linprocfs
enabled, some reasonable defaults can be read via some "dummy" cpuinfo
file?  (I haven't tried that.)  Without enabling this, quicktime
installs but does not run.

Thanks

- Rahul