Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:09:04 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

In message <11871.855990294@critter.dk.tfs.com> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
: Theo belives he can export anything just because he is in Canada.

He can.  That's what Candian law states.  He's looked into it.  More
importantly, others unrelated to the OpenBSD project have looked into
it and have recieved the necessary permissions to export their
cryptographic code.  Canada's law have a loophole for non-commercial
products.  The code must have some Canadian content (that is, the code
must be written by someone in Canada), I believe.

http://insight.mcmaster.ca/org/efc/pages/doc/crypto-export.html is
where I got my details from.  See point number 3 which covers freely
distributable software....

Warner

P.S.  The new US regulations are likely so vague and overreaching as
to be declared unconstitutional, imho.  The older, less restrictive
ones were recently so declared.