Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2024 07:12:20 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Sreenath Battalahalli <sreenathbh@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sporadic DNS failure

Hi,

I have been using freebsd as my primary OS on my ACER laptop for many years now.
My laptop has 802.11AC card for which there is no kernel driver available. I am I use a USB wifi adapter to access the wifi router.

I am having sporadic DNS failures .

After reboot, everything works fine but after some time (30 minutes to a couple of hours), Internet
connections start to fail.

When this happens, I am able to ping 1.1.1.1, my DNS server.

However,
# drill yahoo.com (or any other name) fails with following error:

Error: error sending query: Could not send or receive, because of network error

Other devices connected to same Wifi router continue to work fine.

I ran drill under truss and it appears after sendto to 1.1.1.1, no response comes.

After this error occurs, it stays like that for many some time (20-30 minutes) and sometimes it gets resolved by itself.

#uname -a
FreeBSD bsd12 13.0-RELEASE-p13 FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p13 #0: Mon Aug 29 19:52:47 UTC 2022     root@amd64-builder.d
aemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys
/GENERIC  amd64

Can someone please help me debug this problem?

Thanks,
Sreenath