Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 18:59:08 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

My personal preference would be to lose telnet and ftp too (or
at least offer this as an option) and enable sshd (which gives
you ssh and scp instead). Since I realise that not everyone
would want this, there should be an alternative inetd.conf
that's more insecure by default. (The user should be warned
that he's enabling protocols with plaintext passwords.)

I just reviewed the three options in 4.1.1, and I think that
they are a good start. However, there's not enough information
about what they do! It'd be nice to see more detail (perhaps
by hitting F1 for help).

As for munging inetd.conf: It'd be nice, but offering several
alternative files and switching between them would be fine.
So would doing a "cat" of hunks of the file to assemble
it; minimal intelligence is needed for this.

--Brett