Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:21:36 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   powerd and multicore

--nextPart2707132.nVE3c2aNbb

Hi,

The way I understand powerd works by default is that it monitors the CPU us=
age=20
(or idleness) and changes the CPU frequency accordingly.  The default value=
s=20
are >95% idle =3D> decrease frequency; <65% idle =3D> increase frequency. =
=20

The problem arises when you have a system with 4 or more 'cores'.  In this=
=20
case the first CPU can be running flat out but still report an overall=20
idleness of 75% and thus the frequency is not increased even though the fir=
st=20
core could easily be stuck, at say 200 when capable of 2400. =20

Should powerd be changed to look at CPU specific usage and adjust according=
ly=20
or scale the above defaults according to the number of CPU's. =20

=46urthermore, currently (with core 2) all CPU's are controlled using a sin=
gle=20
value however (I think) it is possible to have each CPU running on a=20
different frequency (and at least with some other architectures).  Does=20
powerd handle these cases?

Regards=20

David

P.S. sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq=3D2400 complains about an invalid argument yet=20
adjusts the value accordingly.  Is this know or should I file a PR. =20

P.P.S. Should the above be filed as a PR?

P.P.P.S. Willing to test patches :-)

P.P.P.P.S. This is the last one :->