Date:      12 Aug 2001 16:53:37 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        "Greg McPherran" <sw2@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

"Greg McPherran" <sw2@mediaone.net> writes:

> 1.If you do encourage people to purchase the boxed set then I think
> my idea will significantly increase sales just from a marketing
> point of view.

At this point after reading two of your mails I have yet to see 'your
idea'. So far I've seen comments insinuating that you don't like the
way FreeBSD is marketed or the chosen logo. I've not seen alternative
logo ideas (properly designed please!) and I've not seen any marketing
advice. Just an e-mail saying 'I don't like your logo and spend some
money on advertising please'.

> 2. If potential FreeBSD advocates like me don't like it - why
> wouldn't you consider changing it just out of consideration for
> others?

Potential FreeBSD advocates who have only considered installing the
OS. Advocates who've not done a single thing with it. At this point
you (like me) have made no contribution to FreeBSD. Why don't you
leave the worrying about the logo to the people who control FreeBSD
and rather expend this energy trying to learn and work with FreeBSD? I
think you'll find the logo doesn't matter a damn when the OS works as
well as FreeBSD does.

People who are going to use FreeBSD are going to use it because it is
a rock solid operating system. People who have already been
brainwashed by the MS marketing crusade aren't going to move to
FreeBSD whether we change to logo or not.

We are using FreeBSD throughout the company I work for. The board have
never seen the FreeBSD web page or logo and they probably never
will. That's why we have a tech department. The board know that
FreeBSD has saved them about GBP20,000 over the Linux solutions that
were in place, and beyond this, they don't care!

I have a nasty feeling that I'm feeding the trolls here.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk