Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:26:58 -0400
From:      Brett <thisdayislong@gmail.com>
To:        danial_thom@yahoo.com
Cc:        zionicman@gmail.com, Ingrid Kast Fuller <ingrid@cityscope.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious breach of copyright -- First post

On 6/20/06, Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com> wrote:

> User manuals and how-tos don't generally get
> copyright notices, because there is nothing
> creative about it. Someone could write exactly
> the same thing (just about), and you'd have
> little claim to it because its just a procedural
> description. What, is the formatting of your
> index unique or something?

Not at all.  The entire procedure is unique.  That's why
it's helpful to others, hopefully.

Check out the FreeBSD handbook.  It's full of copyright notices.
I don't think someone's going to come out with a FreeBSD handbook
without images and claim that they wrote it, and then get away with it.
And even then, the copyright notice is just a formality.