Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:46:26 -0000
From:      "cameron grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Martin Faxr" <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>, <Danovitsch@Danovitsch.dnsq.org>
Cc:        <multimedia@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: No FM synthesizer in PCI soundblasters?

> I'm not quite sure... It should definitely be in 4.5-RELEASE, and I think
> 4.4-RELEASE too. You could try searching the CVS logs or asking Cameron
Grant.

use 4.5.

> > But I would still prefere to use a FM synthesizer for this job, since I
only
> > want some beep's.
> > Having the kernel mix two streams into one looks to me as a waste of
> > CPU-cycles on the Pentium-133 I set up for this job, if it is also
possible
> > to just turn on/off a simple tone and let the soundblaster take care of
the
> > mixing...
>
> Actually, I think that FM synthesizer support in -STABLE isn't really
mature,
> if it even exists at all (although I'm not 100% sure, perhaps you'd be
better
> off asking Cameron Grant here too).

there is no fm synth support in -stable.  not that that matters, since none
of the pci soundblasters contain an fm synth.  they do have a secondary
playback channel which is intended to be used for cpu-generated fm which
could be used as a general second playback channel but we don't use it for
some reason.  if anyone wants to extend the driver, i can provide hardware
docs.

> I don't think the vchan mixing will waste too many CPU cycles, if the
upgrade
> isn't a problem.

i haven't tested on a p133- my slowest testbox is a dual p2/300- but i'd be
very surprised if the overhead was more than 2% cpu time for 4 channels.  if
you were to extend the driver as above, there would be no overhead.

    -cg