Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:12:22 -0800
From:      Demian <lists@dlfws.net>
To:        Andrew Fremantle <freebsd@skyhawk.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Motherboard for new Socket 939 fileserver

Andrew Fremantle wrote:
> Hi all,

Hello.

> Here are my requirements
> Socket 939
> At least four SATA headers
> (preferably) At least two PATA headers
> PCIe Gigabit Ethernet

I'm currently running the following:

Athlon 64 4000+
ASUS A8N-SLI Delux (NVidia NForce 4 chipset)
400GB Western Digital 4000YR  SATA II drive

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE on this box for several months now
without a problem. I have no experience with PCIe Gig Ethernet or
Pseudo-RAID. Have you thought about a SATA RAID board from Adaptec or
Promise? There is a ton of information available for running Adaptec
SATA RAID on FreeBSD 6.0 (At least, I saw a ton. However, I was looking
for info on ATA RAID for my Adaptec 1200A I just setup).

The board has 4 regular SATA, 4 RAID SATA and 2 PATA ports.

I'm not sure if this info helps you but feel free to contact me offlist
if you have any specific questions.

Demian