Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:54:46 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        damien@carroll.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sharing a SCSI bus with 2 controllers

In the last episode (Dec 20), damien@carroll.com said:
> Is it possible to share a SCSI device with two different controllers?
> I have a tape backup that I want to share with two systems, and I
> want them to be both connected at the same time. I have connected
> both controllers to the tape backup, made sure that they were
> configured as different device numbers, and re-booted both systems.
> One is a Windows Machine, the other is a BSD box. Both of the
> controllers are the same (Adaptec 29160N) The BSD box is complaining
> about seeing SCSI bus resets on the bus:
>
>   ahc0: Someone reset channel A
>
> What is the correct way to do this (if it is at all possible)? Are
> there special kernel or hardware settings required for this to work
> properly?

You'll see that message when you reboot the windows box.  It's not an
error.  It usually means bad cabling in standard configs, but with a
2-PC setup you'll see it.

I've done this without problems.  Just make sure you don't make your
SCSI bus too long, and make sure you only terminate twice; once at the
end of the bus in PC#1, and one at the other end inside PC#2.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com