Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:41:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stefan Cars <stefan@ankeborg.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem's with PPP - FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE

I recently installed FreeBSD 3.1 on my machine, everything works fine
except for the PPP. Doing exactly as told in the manual I got only
LCP-Timeout's. Then I talked to my friend who has been running FreeBSD
with userland-ppp for a long time and asked him to send me all his ppp
files, he did but those didn't work either. I thought maybe it could be
the kernel so I asked him to send me his kernel config, and I did just
have to change small things from his kernel (and none of those was any
related to internet or serial ports) but that didn't work either. Then i
thought maybe this could be a problem from my ISP (even if I could connect
from other OSes like Linux, my friend tried to connect and it worked for
him. As a last resolution I tried to move over to pppd and use my old
Linux configuration files (with changes so they worked in FreeBSD) but
that did not work, so I asked another friend using pppd in FreeBSD to send
me his ppp files, of course that didn't work either.

Is this any known problem, it couldn't be the hardware (it works in other
OSes) or could it ?

Regards,
Stefan Cars