Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:02:18 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Jason <jsmethers@pdq.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The joys of Windows

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 04:39:23PM -0500, Jason wrote:
> From: "Adam" <bsdx@looksharp.net>
> > I have workstations as well as servers.  I run FreeBSD on them all.
> > I just booted up FreeBSD on one, started XFree86, and am in icewm with an
> > xterm open and top running.  Mem: ~7.6M active, ~7.6M Inactive, 12M Wired,
> > 32K Cache, 8112K Buf, 97M Free out of 128M total.  The 7.6M and 32K cache
> > and 8112K cache can be considered free also if you realize they can be
> > paged out or shrunk if more mem is needed.  31 < 64.

Yeah, better not take 64 MB on my 40 MB RAM notebook PC here,

  [112:~] ps aux | grep XF86
  root     658  0.6  7.8  8244 2976  ??  S     9:40PM   0:11.65 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 (XF86_SVGA)
  [113:~] swapinfo
  Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
  /dev/rad0s1b        61312     3772    57540     6%    Interleaved

Oops. emacs made somethin' swap out to do this email.

> Again there are many variables to this whole discussion and it all comes
> down to some personal intrest.
>
> I can't give specifiec numbers since I always revert my main machine back to
> windows after having a period of having used FreeBSD and X.
>
> Last time I worked with the two using KDE, X's size started at about 40M and
> by the time I had done some work or played around it would be up to 50M -
> 55M.

Whoa! What were you doing?!

> Take into account instance of netscape, xtrem, etc., my memory usage
                                ^^^^^^^^
Ahhh. All is explained.

[snip]