Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:12:56 +0900
From:      Ajith Pasqual <pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ajith Pasqual <pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject:   Hardware - Real Time Stereo Video Capture and Processing

[I'm cross posting this to -multimedia as this refers to Video Capture also]

Hello!!

First some background info :

  We're doing Vision Related research using a Binocular Stereo Camera called
"BiSight" (http://www.HelpMateRobotics.com/RC_components/RC_frameset.htm).

 We're planning to assemble a machine (PC) for the purpose of building an
active vision system that uses :

  1. BiSight Binocular Camera
  2. Stereo Video Capture Card - FreeBSD Driver available!!!!
(http://www.iijnet.or.jp/argocraft/vcb/capture-e.html) - No detailed
information in English.
  3. Ofcourse, FreeBSD as the OS.

 BiSight Controller is a Delta-Tau PMAC (4/8 Axis Programmable Multi-Axis
Controller) (http://www.deltatau.com/pmacspec.htm)

Since we're aiming at real time Image Processing, we've decided to go for a
Pentium II based PC. Infact it is quite difficult to do this for 30 frames/s
without the support of hardware image processor. But we would like to go for
the maximum frame rate that is possible without this special hardware support.
(say at least 10 or 15 frames/s)

I would greatly appreciate any recommedations/suggestions/advice on getting the
necessary hardware for this purpose.

1. Pentium II (Single or Dual CPU)
2. Motherboard (BIOS ..)
3. Chip Set (440LX ?)  - Limitations on PCI Bandwidth
4. Memory (EDO or SDRAM)
5. Any other relevant piece of h/w

 In particular I would like to know what pitfalls, if any, I should be looking
at.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Ajith Pasqual.