Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:14:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ray Kohler <ray@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   That telnetd bug

Today I did something stupid and got hit by that well-known bug
wherein one runs a program under telnet and then kills telnetd,
causing the second program to go berserk. I was completely locked
out (due to lack of memory) for about 30 minutes, but then was able
to get back on and kill the offending program (cvsup). My question
is: How was it that I was able to get some RAM back without doing
anything first? After all, no programs had died, they had just
"quieted down". I very pleased at this surprise, but still... Why
did it happen?

--
Ray Kohler <rjk191@psu.edu>