Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:44:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Petrou <dpetrou@kinclaith.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q: MIDI support in FreeBSD

Hi.  I'm trying to get /dev/midi0 working in FreeBSD 2.2.5 but am
failing.  I added the following lines to my kernel config:

controller	snd0
device mpu0     at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 drq 0

After rebuilding, reinstalling, and rebooting, I see the following in
my dmesg:

mpu0 at 0x330 irq 5 drq 0 on isa
mpu0: <MPU-401 MIDI Interface 0.0 >

Then I did a 'MAKEDEV snd0' to create a variety of devices.  But, when
I try to open() /dev/midi0, I get errno = 19 (Operation not supported
by device).  Whenever I do these opens, the following line gets
printed to console:

SoundCard Error: The soundcard system has not been configured

After looking through the code a bit, I see that this message is
printed when soundcard_configured (in soundcard.c) equals 0.
Strangely, from what I can see, soundcard_configured gets set to one
via a call to sndattach() during isa device initialization.

Another thing: it seems like the sound driver code, VoxWare v3.0, is
1995 code.  Is there a newer version of VoxWare?  Has anyone ported
the newer version to FreeBSD?  If not, I may give it a try.  Also,
there's a comment at the bottom of sound.doc that reads "NOTE: The
MPU-401 driver may or may not work, and is unfortunately unverifiable
since no one I know has one."  Has anyone out there gotten the MPU-401
code to work?

Last thing: It looks like http://www.4front-tech.com sells sound
drivers, including an MPU-401 driver, for FreeBSD.  Anyone have
experience with these?  I'd prefer a free, source solution,
naturally...

Thanks,
David