Date:      Mon, 8 Aug 2011 13:55:05 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Understudy <list@understudy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad t60p questions

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Understudy <list@understudy.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just loaded FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE on to my thinkpad t60p. I have a
> couple of questions.
> This model is 8741-A11. Currently I am running GENERIC as the kernel. I
> would like to tweak a few things and gain an understanding of a few thing=
s.
> Maybe help a few others along the way.
> So lots of information coming.
>
> none1@pci0:3:0:0: =A0 =A0class=3D0x028000 card=3D0x10108086 chip=3D0x4227=
8086 rev=3D0x02
> hdr=3D0x00
> =A0 =A0vendor =A0 =A0 =3D 'Intel Corporation'
> =A0 =A0device =A0 =A0 =3D 'PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection'
> =A0 =A0class =A0 =A0 =A0=3D network

"none1 means no driver claimed this device. Looking at the current
pci.ids file, I don't see
8086 1010 under 8086 4227. I only see 8086 1011 and 8086 1014. Looks
like IBM/Lenovo puts a custom PCI ID on the card for the T60 that is
different from that on the R60 and X60.

You should be able to just add the 1010 ID to the driver and it will
probably work.

> So my first question has to do with the wireless. =A0I have a 3945ABG Net=
work
> Connection which uses the wpi driver. I have set that up in the
> boot/loader.conf. However it does not show up when I do ifconfig -a. Do I
> need to add ifconfig to rc.conf? =A0Here is where this question gets tric=
ky, I
> have a wireless network at home a wpa2 setup. However that will not be th=
> main connection for the laptop. It normally will be plugged into an ether=
net
> cable. Also the laptop will travel with me and be used in hotels and with
> airport wifi setup. So how do I tell it that if there is a cable ethernet=
> not connect the wireless and if there is a wireless that it should be abl=
> to connect to a open network ?

You need to read the man pages for wpa_supplicant and
wpa_supplicant.conf. It looks complex, but it's really pretty simple
if you look at the examples in /usr/share/examples/etc/

> Follow up items to include xorg, battery and fan items for the t60p.

Will need further information to get into these.

--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com