Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:21:09 +0100
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: '-ax' option in gcc

Miguel Mendez wrote:
> Hi, subject says it all...
>
> A -CURRENT system as of 11/15:
>
> flynn@christine# cat hello.c
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
>         printf("Hello, foo!\n");
>         exit(0);
> }
>
> flynn@christine# env CFLAGS="-pg -ax" make hello
> cc -pg -ax -march=pentiumpro  hello.c  -o hello
> cc1: unrecognized option `-ax'
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/home/flynn.
>
> Is the -ax option deprecated? It's still present in the man page. No
> problem building such program in a -STABLE box with 2.95
>
> Cheers,

The "-ax" option generates code for profiling. The "-ax" options doesn't
appears in the current info documentation, which is an actual one
(AFAIK). So I assume, "-ax" is not supported anymore.

The are new options for that in gcc3, eg. -fprofile-arcs (for generating
profile information) and -fbranch-probabilities (for optimizing using
profile data).

You may also read http://gcc.gnu.org/ for details 'bout the new compiler
and http://gcc.gnu.org/news/profiledriven.html for information about the
new "Infrastructure for Profile Driven Optimizations".

Bye,
Jens
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W