Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 01:32:14 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD? :-)

> > If you want a very good gui e-mail system, try xfmail (/usr/ports
again).

> Watch out with xfmail. It converts your mail to the mh variety, and I
ended
> up loosing a bunch of mail from accidental deletion :(

That can happen with any new mail system. I've changed enough to
appreciate this. :-)

As for mh format, I cannot recommend it highly enough. I used to
dread the thought of going anywhere near it until I ran up exmh
and decided it might be worth the (in my view then) sacrifice of
using 1 file per message rather than the more traditional folders.
Now I wished I had done it years ago.

xfmail is nice, but I still haven't found better than exmh for
functionality. mh in general is really good once you get used to
the different methods. Incidently, mutt users can read mh folders
too. I still use it when I don't have X running and I couldn't be
bothered running up emacs just to read mail - and mutt is perhaps
the best available textmode mail reader out there at the moment
and still rapidly improving on itself. UW's imap v4.x servers also
understand mh folders for those wanting imap support (this fact
is actually what sold me on converting to mh as I often need to
remotely access mail from OS/2, for example).

One major problem using mh solved for me was the reduction in
risk to mail when accessing it over nfs. Having an organised
hierarchy of folders rather than a flat set of save files is
another, not to mention being able to link mail items into
multiple categories without multiple copies. Used with a good
indexing package like, say, glimpse, retrieving important
items is very very easy. Not that I'd recommend any of this to
the casual mail user, since I'm hardly in that category. :-)

Regards,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/