Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 2020 20:30:02 +0200
From:      Gordon Bergling <gbergling@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cross compile FreeBSD on amd64 for arm64 failes via compile determination error

Hi,

I usualy use a pretty straight forward technique to update some
development systems to -CURRENNT. On amd64 -> amd64 everything
went well, but on arm64 (Rasperry PI 4b) I get the following
error messages, while I try to update the system via a NFS share.

sh: cc: Exec format error
make[2]: "/boiler/nfs/src/share/mk/bsd.compiler.mk" line 178: Unable to determine compiler type for CC=cc -target aarch64-unknown-freebsd13.0 --sysroot=/boiler/nfs/obj/boiler/nfs/src/arm64.aarch64/tmp -B/boiler/nfs/obj/boiler/nfs/src/arm64.aarch64/tmp/usr/bin.  Consider setting COMPILER_TYPE.

The command that produces the error is the following, which
was executed on the arm64 system, so no TARGET directive is set.

# env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/boiler/nfs/obj make KERNCONF=GENERIC-TCP SRCCONF=/boiler/nfs/conf/src.conf installkernel

Has anyone an idea what the problem is in this step of the installation?

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Gordon