Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 22:54:54 -0600
From:      "Michael Rice" <marice@email.msn.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions List" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Basic Questions on Compatibility

Hello -

I am getting ready to purchase 2 systems from Gateway (400MHz desktop and
266MHz notebook).  I am considering using FreeBSD 2.2.6 as my Unix OS, but I
need to know if it supports some of my other peripherals and if it supports
some of my development requirements:

Hardware Compatibility
----------------------
1. Does FreeBSD support any HP LaserJet models via parallel port.
2. Does FreeBSD support HP JetDirect (i.e., DLC protocol)?
2. What SCSI adapter can I use with FreeBSD (I'm considering an Adaptec
2940UW)?
3. What do you recommend for a SCSI tape drive (DDS3 compatible with
hardware compression and 6+ GB capacity)
4. Can FreeBSD handle a 5GB Ultra ATA hard disk?  What is the largest EIDE
disk I can use?
5. Can I use FreeBSD with a DVD II CD?
6. Can I use a 56K X2 modem with FreeBSD?

Development Environment
1. Does FreeBSD support all of the System V R4 IPC system services (shared
mem, msg queue, etc.)?
2. Does FreeBSD support Posix system services and threads?
3. Are the following languages supported: C, C++, FORTRAN, Ada, Pascal?
4. Is the Walnut Creek distribution the best place to get FreeBSD on CD?

Thank you for any input you can provide.

Michael Rice
marice@msn.com