Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 14:33:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ivaudrey@test.nemko.ltd.uk
Cc:        markm@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-Ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.2.1 port will not start up

 * open: No such file or directory
 * Cannot open lock file
 *
 * I've been following the Apache ports since the early 1.2 betas, and this
 * is the first time I've had a problem. Is it the port or (much more
 * likely) me that is broken?

I saw the same problem.  After some looking around in the source, I
created a directory "/usr/local/etc/apache/logs" and apache now starts
fine.

The name of this directory (nor any of the strings "logs" "lock",
upper-case or not) doesn't appear in any of the config files in
/usr/local/etc/apache, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Satoshi