Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2012 23:01:27 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Subject:   Re: [CFT/RFC]: refactor bsd.prog.mk to understand multiple programs instead of a singular program
References:  <CAGH67wRkOmy7rWLkxXnT2155PuSQpwOMyu7dTAKeO1WW2dju7g@mail.gmail.com> <201210020750.23358.jhb@freebsd.org> <CAGH67wTM1VDrpu7rS=VE1G_kVEOHhS4-OCy5FX_6eDGmiNTA8A@mail.gmail.com> <201210021037.27762.jhb@freebsd.org> <CAGH67wQffjVHqFw_eN=mfeg-Ac2Z6XBT5Hv72ev0kjjx7YH7SA@mail.gmail.com> <127FA63D-8EEE-4616-AE1E-C39469DDCC6A@xcllnt.net> <20121025211522.GA32636@dragon.NUXI.org> <3F52B7C9-A7B7-4E0E-87D0-1E67FE5D0BA7@xcllnt.net> <CAGH67wRw_n2_KwVz=DZkMpeJ4t8mMf965nxehHsDV-mzTnn5cA@mail.gmail.com>

On 25 October 2012 22:32, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> wrote:

>> I think there are 2 reasons why not to:
>>
>> 1.  The people working on ATF have not raised this concern and
>>     have expressed that using the WITH_BMAKE knob is but a small
>>     price to pay. So let's work the bmake side and be able to
>>     get rid of the knob as soon as possible.
>
> It is annoying with the magnitude of build-related errors, but I have
> a workaround.
>
>> 2.  More knobs isn't better -- we must have none of the knobs in
>>     the end, so the more we create, the more work we have to get
>>     rid of them. That's just more work spent not focusing on the
>>     task at hand and thus more time wasted.
>
> Yes, but not being able to update one's machine makes me sad panda.
>
>> In short: this isn't a 2-knob problem by any stretch of the
>> imagination.
>
> The real issue is that I need to take the patch Simon developed, run
> with it, and in parallel he needs to -- and hopefully already is --
> engage portmgr to get it through a number of exp- runs to make sure
> bmake does what it's supposed to do with his patch. Backwards
> compatibility will need to be maintained for ports because ports has
> to work on multiple versions of FreeBSD [where bmake isn't yet
> available/present], so maybe a fork in the road for bsd.port.mk should
> be devised in order to make everything work.

Now you've terrified me, and probably most other ports people too.

Is there a Wiki page where the actual benefits of moving to bmake are
made clear?  This is a major, *major* upheaval, and having two
versions of bsd.port.mk for years is simply not an option.

Have you discussed this on ports@?

Chris