Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 21:29:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Karl Strickland <karl@bagpuss.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: mt grief?

> me again!
>
> 	in a rare fit of prior planning, i actually backed up my tarfiles
> onto a scsi tape. Unfortuneately, i seem to be unable to read it! bummer!
>
> 128: {42} tar -xv
> st0: not ready
> tar: can't open /dev/rst0 : Input/output error
> 128: {43} mt rewind
> st0: not ready
> mt: /dev/nrst0: Input/output error
>
> here is dmesg:
> nca0 at 0x1f88-0x1f8b irq 10 on isa
> nca0: type ProAudioSpectrum-16
> nca0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> (nca0:4:0): "  " type 1 removable SCSI 1
> st0(nca0:4:0): Sequential-Access drive offline
>
> is there something obvious that i am forgetting? is it broken? i set all
> the rst0 and nrst0 to be readable by u, me , and my brother's cat and i
> still get the same errors.. :-(

Hi John - what kind of tape drive are you using?  I've seen this problem
on a WangDAT drive.  I think it occured for me after I did an 'mt rewoffl'
and then tried to access the tape again.  Anyway, taking out the tape and
putting it back in seemed to cure the problem.

If all else fails, try a reboot!  If you were able to write to the tape,
you should be able to read it!

Cheers
--
Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland