Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:58:55 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        pirat@prime.oaep.go.th
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Where to get Windows Internet stuff/ More on Windows & BSD

Go to http://www.tucows.com and http://www.shareware.com.  Some are free,
some are shareware, some are commercial demos.  But there is so much
software available for Windows (both client and server in the Internet
category), you couldn't test all of it in a lifetime.

That's why my 'main' machine is still a Windows machine.  Some in the list
don't understand it and think it makes more sense to put BSD on the more
powerful machine, and relegate Windows to the back burner.  But to me,
ultimately software and application availability and the ability to get
productive quickly is more important than the configurability/power of the
OS that software runs under.  Also, driver availability and hardware
support are *very* important to me, and on my main machine, most of my
hardware would be unsupported.  Thirdly, I'm a programmer, and I might want
to make money at it sometime.  There's very little money in FreeBSD
programming (except maybe very narrow, specialized areas) and quite a bit
more in Windows programming.  So I stay with Windows as my main OS, and BSD
as a secondary (but growing in usefulness as I learn it).

You gotta admit, dedicating one gig of HD space to it on a 2 gig HD with
the rest for Win95 and Win NT to share as software testbed platforms is
pretty reasonable (mail tells me I have plenty of free space left
everywhere... now I wish I had made /var smaller (I made it 80 megs for
some reason and a lot of that is gonna go to waste).

Anyway, for anyone who wants to know, here's how I divided up the 1 gig I
dedicated to BSD:

/ - 40 megs
/var - 80 megs (Why did I do this??)
/usr - 820 megs
swap - 60 megs (machine has 32 megs RAM) - sounds reasonable to everyone?

Any suggestions on how to better divide the disk up should I ever decide to
re-install again (most likely I will be, closer and closer to perfection
every time) let me know via Email at fewtch@serv.net and/or the mailing
list - thanks.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.